Since its inception in 1996, Fantasia has been an event hell-bent on showcasing the most exciting, innovative and individualistic examples of contemporary international genre cinema from every corner of the globe.
It has become a hugely popular Montreal summer tradition for over 105 000 festival-goers to spend three weeks being amazed by sensational celluloid from Japan, Spain, South Korea, Italy, Hong Kong, Germany, Thailand, Denmark, France, Russia, India, New Zealand, Chile, Brazil, Australia, Holland, Scotland, Iran, Belgium, Sweden, Great Britain, Uruguay, the US and of course, Quebec and Canada.
While we're predominantly known as a Fantastic Film Festival, we have always devoted a significant part of our programming to celebrating atypical films that defy conventional genre classifications. From docs, dramas and comedies, straight to unclassifiable experimental works.
Fantasia offers a multitude of curated award opportunities for the films it showcases.
- The Cheval Noir Jury Competition (Best Film, Director, Screenwriter, Actor, Actress)
- The International Short Film Competition
- The Camera Lucida Competition
- The New Flesh Award (Best First Feature)
- The Satoshi Kon Award (Achievement in Animation)
- The Audience Award